Feds to Bring No Civil Rights Charges in Jamar Clark Case

Jamar Clark; Photo: Kenya McKnight

Jamar Clark; Photo: Kenya McKnight

The U.S. Attorney's Office in Minnesota said on Wednesday that the two police officers involved in the deadly shooting of Jamar Clark last year would not face federal civil rights charges.

U.S. Attorney Andrew Luger said, "It is not enough to show the officers made a mistake, that they acted negligently, by accident or even that they exercised bad judgment to prove a crime. We would have had to show that they specifically intended to commit a crime."

Clark, an unarmed African-American man, was shot by two police officers following a struggle surrounding an investigation into an assault case.

Although the Clark shooting generated controversy throughout the nation, a thorough investigation including DNA evidence supported the contention that Clark was not handcuffed at the time of his death, despite conflicting witness accounts.

-SUPPORTINGCOPS.ORG

Help support the men and women who protect and serve by donating or joining now! Americans in Support of Law Enforcement is a nonprofit organization and your donations help keep us up and running.